Wednesday 12 February 2014

Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines ...


In recent times I barely seem to have drawn breath before another deadline comes hurtling towards me at full pelt.

Coming from a newspaper background I’m used to writing copy on demand all day long (and I’m long enough in the tooth to remember writing for late night final editions, with the news editor hovering near my desk hungry for the latest political tit-bit from my notebook).

Conducting interviews for the next edition of the Southampton magazine is certainly keeping me busy – and it’s been fascinating so far...

This edition will showcase Southampton and give the latest news and views on key developments such as the Cultural Quarter and Waterfront development. It is focusing on the visitor economy and will highlight opportunities in the cultural / leisure / retail / restaurant / tourism realm.

I’ve been lucky enough to speak to not one but two of our leading hoteliers in the region. Robin Hutson of Hotel du Vin fame and more recently the driving force behind the success of the luxurious Lime Wood Hotel and the Pig hotels. He spoke to me about creating the Pig in the Wall in Southampton and his future plans for the Pig brand.

It was also a pleasure to interview Nicholas Roach, the chairman of the Nicholas James Group about his plans to build a striking new five star hotel at Ocean Village. His group already runs the successful Christchurch Harbour Hotel and the new Southampton development looks set to raise the bar for hospitality in the city. 

Artist's impression of the new five star hotel at Ocean Village
Fascinating to learn he started out working as an accountant at PWC based in Ocean Village and his office overlooked the spot where the new hotel (which looks like an art deco cruise liner) will eventually be sited.

Mr Roach is a keen advocate for Southampton, having been to university in the city and he is looking forward to seeing his beautiful new hotel take shape over the coming months.

The whip is being cracked and I need to get on with writing more content – so no more time to blog at the moment.

Mind you, even though I say it myself, this latest edition of the Southampton magazine looks set to be a really good read ... I’ll let you know when it hits the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment